Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ode to Elvis

I took an informal poll this evening of my friends' first CDs. The answers, unsurprisingly, were scattered; we covered everything from the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam to the Beach Boys and boyband realm (B2K, *NSYNC and of course BSB) to, adorably, the soundtrack to the beloved family film Andre. (It's about a seal or something.)

Now 4 was also mentioned, which is a little depressing when you realize that as of this year we're on Now 37 and we've gone from Hanson and Blink 182 and Britney to Ke$ha and Rihanna and Mike Posner. Kids these days, I tell you.

(But seriously, Hanson's
still got it.)

Anyway, my first CD was an Elvis Presley "Greatest Hits" compilation.



Yeah. So awesome.

The King made an impression on me. In fourth grade, we each had to pick a state and do a presentation about that state. I chose Mississippi because, you know, who wouldn't? Double vowels FTW. Early in my extensive research in the elementary school library, I learned that Elvis Presley was born in Mississippi before he moved to Tennessee and made a name for himself. He obviously shared my love for the double vowel states. I was smitten. In the end my state project focused exclusively on Elvis. I don't recall how my teacher felt about that but I graduated the fourth grade so I guess it was okay.

Other loves followed. Beach Boys, Spice Girls, Blues Traveler, Phish. (My parents were -- are -- hippies.)
Eventually the King and I lost touch. I reached further beyond my years, to Aretha Franklin and Etta James and Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby. When I was 12, I was convinced that I had been born 30-60 years too late. My friends learned the words to "Baby Got Back" and I learned the words to "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered."

I'm now older and wiser and realize that Sir Mix-a-Lot and Ella Fitzgerald are not mutually exclusive. There's room in my heart for both the Supremes and the Smashing Pumpkins. Weezer and BB King can coexist with Britney and Ke$ha.

But Elvis. Elvis was my first.

No comments:

Post a Comment