Friday, February 4, 2011

Jack Attack

My mother (of Friday Jams fame) has gotten me hopelessly hooked on Jack White. (After I introduced her to him in the first place, I might add.) For those who don't know, 35-year-old Mr. White is being hailed as the prodigal musician of a generation. He sings, plays every instrument in the band, and was the "under 40" representative on It Might Get Loud, talking guitars and shooting the shit with U2's The Edge and Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant. Kind of a big deal.

The band that introduced him to the spotlight, The White Stripes, announced their official breakup on Wednesday. According to the statement, it's not for any ill reason, but simply that both members (Jack and his ex-wife Meg) are moving on to new projects. Maybe they got sick of playing "Seven Nation Army" over...and over...and over...


It's just so damn catchy.

Happily, Jack's already got a bunch of other stuff going on. He fronts The Raconteurs, who have put out a couple of great records already, and in his newest project he's playing drums, guitar and sharing vocals with Alison Mosshart (of The Kills). My first exposure to The Dead Weather was this provocative video, called "Treat Me Like Your Mother." And yes, my mother showed it to me first.

The live version is just as good if not better. Next time Jack comes to town, who's going with me?

Come on. That's awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Meg's not actually his sister. She's his ex-wife. He took her last name, which I think is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, major Medill F for me. Thanks for the correction!

    ReplyDelete