Sunday, October 31, 2010

Rock Band seems to be a theme for me lately


My friend Megan is in a band. A rock band. We were also in marching band together in college so when she started saying stuff like "I have band rehearsal now," I'd snicker and advise her to be more specific. She took to declaring "I have rock band rehearsal now," which was way more awesome.

I also find myself in something of a rock band, and I would be remiss if I didn't include somewhere in this blog a mention. It's called Tyranny of Dave and is led by a guy named Dave Wechsler, who has been writing and performing his own music for years. I met him when he came to my undergrad campus to record an SAI recital in the spring of 2009; in return we recorded some background vocals and horn parts for his self-produced album, "The Decline of America: The Bush Years," released in May 2010. (Follow the link to download the album for free; we're on tracks two and four. You can also download ToD's 2007 album "Vacations.")

A year later Dave paid me a huge honor by asking me to sing and play trombone with him and his reassembled band. He also offered me a tambourine once and then quickly took it away and gave me an egg shaker instead. Smart man.

The full band played our first show together this past May, and then Dave and I played an acoustic set last Thursday. We're busy rehearsing and setting up more shows; if you want to be kept in the loop, "like" us on Facebook.

Ahhh, social media. Making music easy since MySpace 2003.

Setlist: Thursday, October 28, 2010, Horseshoe Chicago
American Man
Everyone Says that I Love You
Wake Up in Brooklyn
Salt of the Earth
Too Late
Poison
Ballad of John Banvard
We’ve Finally Come Home
Velocity - I sing the lead on this one :)
Border Guard

No comments:

Post a Comment