Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Grad school, quarter 2, week 3. Desire to shoot myself in the face: waning.

This humorous piece in the Sunday Post is speaking to me this week, as I continue to be embroiled in the finer points of the English grammar system. Special shout-out to Chrissie, a goddess of lexicon. On the slate today: schemes and tropes. It baffles me that I never learned this stuff in high school, at least not to this depth. I learned the basics, of course - metaphor, parallelism, alliteration - but it seems as though my teachers avoided anything for which the term has only a Latin name. Epistrophe. Anadiplosis. Antimetabole. Paranomasia. At this moment, it's all Latin to me.

The goal is for it to make sense by 5pm today, which means I should probably stop here.

Future study break.

No comments:

Post a Comment